At The Irrawaddy we collect information about our readers and supporters for three main reasons:
1.To help us to monitor and improve the services we offer.
2.To provide personalised services unique to individual readers.
3.To use anonymous details about our readers to sell appropriate advertising space on the site.
We are committed to protecting our reader’s privacy via the following steps.
1. The Irrawaddy will invest in high-quality security technology to protect reader privacy (within funding limitations).
2. We will respect email privacy. Our readers will not receive unsolicited marketing emails from The Irrawaddy unless they have registered as a subscriber with The Irrawaddy. Irrawaddy subscribers agree to receive: regular emails with news updates; occasional emails with information or queries about registration or subscriptions; and occasional donation requests or Irrawaddy marketing and media product updates.
3. We will not pass on any individual reader details (including email address) for third party use unless we have the reader’s prior consent.
4. We always ensure that any contractors we use in connection with the running of the website and services (for example hosting providers) are subject to strict contractual obligations. They are only able to process data on our behalf and in accordance with our principles and instructions and not for any other independent purpose.
5. We will only share anonymous aggregate statistics about our readers, sales and traffic patterns with our advertisers.
What information do we collect?
We collect information on our readers as follows: through cookies, through registration and where readers choose to disclose data in postings or surveys.
The minimum information we require to register a subscriber includes: name, email address, country, and postal address for print distribution.
We may also ask our readers to supply additional information as subscribers or in occasional surveys to measure reader demographics, (age, occupation, education etc) or gain reader feedback. These surveys are optional for readers to complete – and use of the information collected will be limited to analysis of reader trends – never for personal identification of readers.
The information is used to help us to sell appropriate advertising space and so keep the site free. It may also enable us to personalise services for our readers. We do not share this information with third parties unless readers have specifically consented to this.
How do we protect customer information?
We invest in high-quality internet security and follow strict security procedures in the storage and disclosure of reader’s information to prevent unauthorised access.
Will we disclose the information we collect to third parties?
The Irrawaddy will not sell, trade or rent the personal information of readers to others without their permission.
We may provide aggregate statistics about our readers, sales, traffic patterns and related site information to reputable third-party vendors, but these statistics will not include personally identifying information.
The Irrawaddy follows the relevant legal requirements and uses all reasonable precautions to ensure only responsible third parties see the information, however we are not responsible for any breach of security or any actions of any third parties who receive the information.
Please note that we reserve the right to access and disclose individually identifiable information to comply with applicable laws and lawful government requests, to operate our systems properly and to protect both ourselves and our users.
Any data processors with access to reader data in providing services on our behalf are subject to contractual restrictions to ensure that reader data remains protected, and is not used independently by such third party.
Changes to the Policy